Monday, October 12, 2009

Sunday Go to Meating

I've only lately discovered the joys of sautéed or baked calamari. Like many, my experience with Mr. Squid was limited almost exclusively to either the fried version (love the tentacle clusters!) or the cold white rings in some kind of ceviché or whatnot.















So for this week's Sunday Table, I stuffed calamari tubes with Dungeness crab, cilantro, bread crumbs, shredded Parmesan, egg, spring onion and chili flakes. Then I baked them at 350 for 20 minutes. Once they were done, I placed them atop a bed of arugula and frisée and dressed the lot with a dead simple drizzle of mayonnaise, caper juice, Champagne vinegar, powdered Parmesan and a pinch of ground black pepper. I sprinkled paprika around the plate for presentation. I really like the Whole Foods 365 brand paprika because it is flavorful and more vividly orange-red than other brands.
















Dinner was a gorgeous Chuck roast of beef (cooked at 350 until 140 degrees at the center - perfectly medium rare) with red currant-balsamic reduction butter and green beans topped with diced shallots sautéed in butter and a dash of white truffle oil.

















Dessert was a chestnut cream Charlotte -- with the world's smallest lady fingers -- from Hiroki.

How was your Sunday?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I just had shivers down my spine. I would have been happy with the stuffed squid or the beef; but both... mmmmmmmmm! If we're beeing well and truely decadent add in some pan fried foie (I am anobody's, should they have some delicious beef, with pan fried foie gras and a red coloured jus/reduction of some description) and you have an evening of culinary perfection.

    ReplyDelete