Saturday, October 24, 2009

Ay, dios mio!















Tonight I am making carnitas tacos for some friends. I have never tried this before, but the slow cooking pork butt is filling the house with amazing smells! The 5lb butt has been slow braising in 5 cups of water, 2 cups of fresh-squeezed orange juice and some salt. That's all it got and that's all it's going to get...nothing need hide this amazing meat's goodness. Right now, it's just basically meat and bubbling rendered fat (good god, forgive me!), well on its way to an eventual lightly carmelized crispness.

I plan to serve the carnitas with chopped onion, cilantro, cotijo and manchego cheeses on organic corn tamales that smell incredibly fresh (duh, cuz they are!). Topping the tacos with an avocado-tomatillo guacamole will hopefully seal the deal.

If this works well I am going to make it again and again, if only for the aroma my house is filled with right now!

1 comment:

  1. i want to be signed up for the next carnitas night!!! im trying to imagine the smell...yum

    ReplyDelete