Sunday, October 4, 2009

Favorite Diners















Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to introduce you to Ryan and Brian. Besides the fact that their names create a most pleasant rhyme, they are also most pleasant people. Selfishly speaking, they help keep me plugged into the culture of people half my age -- which is important to me because I see myself more in their chronological swim-lane than my own. I'm at peace with my age (46) but not with what happens to most people at my age (Zzzzzzzzzz...).

Ryan builds handmade, custom wood furniture. He's the youngest guy practicing an old craft that I know.

Brian is at the University of Washington, studying animation. Watch this space: he's going to be the next Walt Disney. His work is exceptional.

Both of them are dear friends, and they can run like hell on the footy pitch. I trust them. I learn from them. They turn me onto great music. They make me laugh. I hope I give them back half what they give me.

Whenever Ryan and Brian come over for dinner, I know it's going to be a great evening. Is there anything more you could want from a dinner guest? I don't think so. They are welcome here anytime.

Say hello to them!

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful words--I know that when I'm old I'll look back on our dinners and my only regret will be that they could not continue without end. To crapulence!

    R

    ReplyDelete